Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General question - registering ip phones 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipk

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2006
US
I've got asterisk/freepbx set up on a CentOS 4 box. I've got a VoIP-only configuration, and am having trouble getting my phones (Polycoms) to register.

Shouldn't I just have to configure the extensions in freepbx, load the configs via ftp and everything work like magic? The phones come up with all the correct info, so I know they're talking to the server at least via ftp, but I never get them to register with sip. The phones say the extension is not registered under status and in the CLI> "sip show users" doesn't have any users listed. Additionally, freepbx says I have 1 IP phone online, despite the fact that I have two up that are configured exactly the same way.

Of course, when I try to call station to station, I get a fast busy, but I'm assuming this is caused by the registration problem. Any direction/help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried to configure the phone via web browser?

Huh, didn't even think of that. I'm looking at the Polycom through the browser, and "register" is set to 30. Not sure what the heck that means. I think I have a phone manual around here to check that out. Thanks for the tip, I'll let you know if that fixes the problem.

Try this:

Once you can pull it up, go to the Lines option at the top. Enter in "Polycom" for the username and "456" for the password. Username IS case sensitive. Select Line 1. Under Server 1, put your Asterisk server for the Address, 5060 for the Port. Register to 1. Line Seize Time Out to 30. Scroll down a bit to the bottom of the Line 1 config, under Message Center. Set Callback Mode to "Contact" in the dropdown. Set the Callback Contact number to the number you have configured for voice mail.

Hit Submit...and wait another few minutes. Don't worry, you only have to go in there one more time. When it reboots, you should see that the little phone icons are completely filled in black, indicating a successful registration. (You may have noticed that before you got on the web interface, the phone icons were hollow, indicating that you could call out but you were not properly registered to receive calls.)

At this point, you're all set EXCEPT that the MWI light will not come on, and the Messages button will not automatically dial voicemail for you. To fix this, pull the web interface up again and go to the General option. At the top, under User Preferences, click "One Touch Voice Mail" and "Bypass Instant Message" so that they're enabled. Once again, the behemoth reboots, but now you're all set.

Thanks, that was good stuff, but I'm still not registering (phone icons are still hallow and line says not registered).

I'm guessing something's missing on the server. I know someone with a working system similar to mine who I'm talking to about what else I might be missing.

In extensions.conf, add a SIP extension as normal.

[internal] ;Use your applicable context name (default, internal, etc.)
exten => 510,1,Macro(extensions,Sip/510,510)
;The above creates SIP extension 510 with the usual voicemail features

In sip.conf,

[510] ;Extension 510
type=friend
secret=polycom ;Password for the extension
context=internal ;Use the applicable context from extensions.conf
host=dynamic
mailbox=510
callerid=Firstname Lastname <510> ;Important to use the <extension#>
;so caller ID and voicemail shortcuts work properly

In voicemail.conf, the usual:

[internal] ;Use your applicable context name (default, internal, etc.)
510 => 1234,Firstname Lastname,email@address.com

Once this is all set up, try typing "asterisk -rvvvvv"

You should see your polycom phone try to register.

Thanks - I'll try that today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back