Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General question on Transaction Logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwight1

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2005
US
I recently had a problem of transaction logs occupying the entire space on the disk. Every time i run a DTS package it gave me an error "Transaction log full, backup the log and create space for the log".

I did research and came to know that i can reduce it by code
DBCC SHRINKFILE (2) it does clean up the logs but when i run the DTS, it gives me the same error message. Can any one please tell me how to control this ever increasing transaction logs as a best practice rules and also what is the standard log space alloted for a 100 mb datafile. How to overwrite this logs? I am using a simple recovery model.

Thanks for your help.

Dwight

There are two way you can approch this.
What type of syntax you used in your package (Insert, delete).
One way is DBCC SHRINKFILE for a certain number of records. Option two is create a second Transaction log file on a bigger drive and set the max growth size on first Transaction Log (Drive Size-100 Mb).

Dr.Sql
Good Luck.

DrSql,

I used Delete syntax in my package.

I got your idea, but did not understand how we create a second transaction log because i was under the impression that for each database we have only one tlog automatically generated by sql called db_log. So i create a second log file, when the first gets full tlog files occupy the second tlog drive space.

Thanks for your help.

Dwight

Right Click on DB==> Properties
goto Transaction Log Tab.
You should see your TransLog.
FileName Location
DB_Log C:\Mssql\DB_Log.ldf
DB_Log1 D:\Mssql\DB_Log1.ldf

Dr.Sql
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.