Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Question on NAS Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
What is the relationship between the users on computers in a NON-domain environment and the users created on the NAS device. I'm thinking of devices such as WD ShareSpace WDA4NC20000 or Netgear RND4250.

In other words, I have one user on each computer and I want to set up users on the NAS device to correspond to those users and give rights to different folders.

Assuming I have created a user on the NAS corresponding to each user on their computer, how does authentication work and will the user only be prompted once or every time to access.

most advanced nas devices using acls use usermapping. So you create a user on the nas, then you map this user to the pc user.So when the pc user comes in, the nas will go to the mapping file and try to map this user to a user that was created on the nas, and will pass on the credentials.If no exact usermapping can occur, user will get access denied.
I don't know if this same principle is valid for small nas'es like netgear toys :)

hope this helps,

R.

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

That's what I figured - that there doesn't have to be a relationship between the user name/password on the local workstation and the user name/password you set on the NAS. Although it would be easier to have at least the user name match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back