Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Protection Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodyinoz

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I am using Paradox 8 and am getting a very annoying error message on one of my forms....

All I am doing is entering the close() command under a button and when I then try and run the form I am getting a 'General Protection Error'.

I used to have close() under the button before and it worked fine. Now for no apparent reason I cannot put it anywhere in my code under this particular button!

Any help would be great. I'm almost 100% certian this is nothing to do with bad coding... is it a bug in Pdox 8 and if it is how do I get rid of it?!

Thanks in advance,

Woody

TonyMcGuire:

I too am having this same error come up at times.

In my app. there is tons of code in just about button.

Let me fiqure out how get the size in bytes of the code.

I believe the max code in a method is 64k.

If you exceed this, I'm not sure if the form will even compile. But certainly you will have 'issues', and I think even GPFs/GPVs will result.

Move code to libraries, and see if that resolves some of the issue.

And if you have USES clauses for [Windows] DLLs, you get the same problems. Move the USES to their own library, and create custom methods in the library that expose the functionality of the functions you need to use in those DLLs.

Tony McGuire

TonyMcGuire:

I will do that.

Thanks for your help again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back