Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Performance of Webpages with recordsets & image not displaying

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazmeise

Programmer
Apr 28, 2004
GB
Ok in short i have a website to finish before i leave work this friday and have a major performance problem and not sure whats causing it.

Are recordsets relatively fast in gathering information when connecting to excel spreadsheets? i'm using simple queries.

Does writing a lot information out to teh webpage using Response.Write take a lot of time?

Any tips for submitting forms more quickly [fix it so that not everything has to load each time etc]

Some people are having problems when they view the webpage - the Office web chart will not display because of 'chartspace.constants' is not supported and also a gif image will not display for them in the top righthand corner

I realize this message is v vague but i dont expect someone else to trawl through by code if i post it and tell me whats wrong. Once i know what is probably causing it to be so slow then i can focus on that!

The webpage has 6 dropdown boxes.. 3 of which are loaded from values retrieved from recordsets and i have 2 more recordsets getting values for calculations and then displaying these in a chart.

THanks a million, if you can help me on just one of the questions i asked that would be great!
Saz

First, the office component issue could be because they have a differant version of Office installed on there machines. That component has to be installed on their machines (and the licensing says you can't give it to them for free) in order for it to load correctly.

Depending on how your collecting your data and how much data is in your excel spreadsheet, timing is going to vary. You may want to look into the FAQs on increasing recordset efficiency but the biggest gain you will probably get is to make sure that a) your not using a dynamic cursor, and b) use GetRows to dump the data into an array and then get rid of the recordset.

Without seeing how your generating the select dropdowns I can't give you to much assistance there, except for two general points:
1) If you have dropdowns with the same options in them I would suggest just building those options once by putting them into a string, then write that string in the multiple locations you need it. This will eat a little more memory and time when it generats the string (as compared to just writing the options out) due to the concatenations but will still come out faster then generating each duplicate set of options from scratch.
2) Close all unnecessary recordsets as you finish with them

Again, I can't give more specific info without seeing some of the code, but between those points and the ones you can find in the FAQs section on recordset eficiency you ought to be able to speed it up quite a bit. For example, coverting code from looping through a long recordset to using GetRows and looping throught the resulting array can increase your performance by as much as 8-10 times faster.

-T

barcode_1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back