Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Performance Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezdread

Technical User
Oct 23, 2000
GB
Hi all,

For some reason my PC is really slow sometimes and I'd like to find out why if poss?

• The start menu sometimes takes a few (10-20 secs) to appear then moving through it takes time also.

• The task bar (auto hide) doesn't always show when it should, similar to the above.

• When I right click for new shortcuts / folders takes ages (sometimes) There's 14 items in the new menu.

Probably unrelated but when I logon to my domain for the first time after rebooting I can't connect to the domain for roaming profiles so I have to logout and then back in again and I get my profile ok?

The OS was a clean install and I haven't installed loads of crap on it since.

I have a gig of Corsair RAM, AMD 2600+ CPU (running @ 2.1ghz, GForce MX 440 gfx card, NF7-S/NF7 Abit Motherboard.

The CPU temp peaks at about 52c after a couple of hours gaming where I get no problems or performance issues.

It has to be Windows XP! but how can I sort it?

Tezdread
"With every solution comes a new problem"

You may check to see if you are using the indexing feature, I think it may be under the management selection. Another would be the swap file possibly? I had a swap file on a 2nd drive using both partitions and had big performance problems. And I realize this is the most basic question, but have you defragged and run a scan disk?

These threads will give you plenty of possibilities.

Right Click on Folders Hangs Explorer
thread779-764870

files accessed slow through my computer and not shortcuts
thread779-647815

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back