Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General NAS questions - backing up, security, anti-virus, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ftechguy

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
I want to add an NAS box to my network so I can separate the file and application servers on my network. I have a few questions to any nas experts out there.

1. HOw is security and access handled? I checked out the Snap series of NAS--their sites says they can work with AD. Does that mean I can use the same logons and user groups to give certain users full access, read access, folder access, etc? Or do I have to create new accounts using the NAS's admin applet?

2. How can I backup NAS boxes? I have Veritas Backupexec on my win2k server. Can I make it backup the NAS also?

3. Can I install an antivirus program on the NAS? Or do I have to map it and scan it on a different computer?

That said, any good recommendations for a NAS? I am looking at the Snap Server 2200, as it fits my storage and cost requirements best.

Hi ftechguy.

The Snap2200 can import users from AD. You can use Snaps webadmin to add file and folder security.

You can use Veritas, Legato, CA backup packages and backup the Snap using the SMB protocol as a remote drive.

Antivirus would need to be also handled as a remote drive scan.

Starting with the Snap 4200+, the SNAP server "joins" the AD so you use native windows to maintain the file and folder securtiy. Secondly, it comes with both Intergrated Backup and Integrated Antivirus software.

>---------------------------------------Lawrence Feldman
SR. QA. Engineer SNAP Appliance
lfeldman@snapappliance.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back