Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General memory questions when opening Excel file

Status
Not open for further replies.

FractalWalk

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
US
This is a general question and not about specific code. I utilize multiple processes that open Excel spreadsheets, extract data to arrays and then prints those arrays to text files. My problem is that after a few runs of doing this with bigger files, I end up with an "Out of memory" error. It isn't any specific file or file size that it is happening with. Sometimes it happens on a very small file but only after working with numerous larger files. So it certainly seems like a cumulative memory leak issue.

The arrays should not be the problem as I use a Redim statement, erase them and the End Sub should clear the memory (right?). I also set all my objects to nothing when done. So, I suspect it is the opening of the Excel files that is the culprit. It seems like if I open a file and close it from a sub in VBA that the memory for that file is not cleared when closed, rather it takes quitting the application to clear it. The research I have done on the web seems to confirm this, but I couldn't find anything to resolve it.

So my question is this. I was using workbooks.open and workbook.close, but if instead I use an object like, Set wb = Workbooks.Open(fnme) and then set wb = Nothing when I am done, does that help with my memory issue or should that not make a difference? Also if I open as read only, Set wb = Workbooks.Open(fnme, True, True), does that help? I have done that with a test script and I haven't had an "Out of Memory" issue yet, but before I re-write all my macros, I want to make sure there is value in what I am doing.

Any other suggestions regarding the opening of Excel files from within VBA that might help reduce the memory overhead?

Hi,

Excel has been known to "leak."

Without actual code a lots more specific information regarding your process, it's difficult to posit any cogent solution. In fact, there may be no solution.

Understood, but I am not asking to fix specific code, rather I am asking what is a better practice regarding memory leakage. I guess to put it simply, I am asking if this:

Code:
Set wb = Workbooks.Open(fnme, True, True)
wb.Close
Set wb = Nothing

is more memory efficient than this:

Code:
Workbooks.Open(fnme)
Workbooks(fname).Close

Or are they both basically the same? They both work, but I utilize the former method in about 50 - 60 different macros in a myriad of workbooks and will re-code them to the latter if there is value in it. But if not I'll just save the time and leave as is.

I'd keep the first option.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back