Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Help - SAN for 2 cluster storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mRgEE

IS-IT--Management
Oct 13, 2003
GB
I am looking to implement a SAN for 2 clusters. Both clusters use HP Prolient DL380s. I cannot justify a SAN for each individual cluster but I can for both of them. My question is can I use one modular SAN array to store data for both clusters? If so, how can I keep each of the cluster data seperate from one another on the SAN? Surely this must be possible. Has anyone implemented a similar solution? Any links or general information on this would be greatly appreciated as I have hit a brick wall finding info on what I am trying to achieve.

I have been looking at the HP StorageWorks Modular SAN Array 1000 which is a good bit of kit, would it be possible to use some type of logical partitioning to keep the different cluster data seperate?

Thanks in advance.

This can be done when you use a SAN attached disk array. You create LUNS for each cluster and share them with each other. By using seperate LUNS (Disks) for each clusters data you will be able to achieve this very easily.

Thanks for your quick reply,

Would I need any special software, utilities or tools to create LUNS for my clusters? If you know of any resources where I can read up on this stuff I would be very grateful.

Whatever disk array you decide to use for disk storage should have that software.

Well firstly the idea of a SAN is to share and centralise your data storage - so haveing 2 SANs (in my opinion defeats the purpose - unless you are mirroring the SAN).

Comtec is right - What you need to do is purchase an appropriate fibre channel disk array & then configure your RAID sets, partitions & lun mapping accordingly.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back