Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

general flash media server questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

theotrain

Programmer
Mar 5, 2003
MX
i think im going to need FMS or Wowza for a site. i want to make sure i understand a few things.

you can deliver video in flash without having FMS. i assume the primary advantage of using FMS (to deliver a video) that the FMS video can be skipped to any point on the playhead and start streaming from there, whereas a regular video placed into flash would have to load from start to finish in order? is that right?

i asked an FMS hosting service if they have coldfusion and they said no... they ONLY host flash movies. is that how it usually works? if you have a website that uses say coldfusion and mySql, and it also has to serve flash, how do you organize the site to work with the FMS host?

also i would like to create something that records sound from the users mic and records it as a file to the server. im pretty sure FMS can do this (correct me if wrong) but can wowza also handle that? their site says it can handle "remote recording"

thanks!

Yes you can skip to any point with streaming. You can't skip to a point which is not yet loaded with progressive download.

There are other differences though. See:

Typically you will use streaming server for just video delivery. Your SWF will be elsewhere, together with a database etc.

FMS can record video and audio. So can Red5, Wowza

Kenneth Kawamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back