Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

general fields and memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

budman48

MIS
Dec 20, 2002
US
I've noticed memory usage goes extremely high when I open a form with table with a .bmp stored in a general field. This table also has other fields which are needed even if the picture is not for a particular program. Why does so much memory get used even if I'm not editing/saving the picture? And is there a better way to handle pictures? Or is there a way to clear the cache without clearing other memory varibles? It seems the memory does not get cleared just by closing the form - is there something else I need to do?

<< Why does so much memory get used even if I'm not editing/saving the picture? >>

Because that's the nature of graphics processing. Images use a lot of memory, especially large images at a high resolution and colour depth.

<< And is there a better way to handle pictures? >>

Probably. General fields are generally a bad idea. It is more efficient to place an image object on the form and to set its Picture property to an image filename when you navigate to a new record. But it depends on what exactly you want to achieve.

<< Or is there a way to clear the cache without clearing other memory varibles? >>

CLEAR RESOURCES should do it.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back