Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Failure when I try to ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkwtfid

MIS
Nov 24, 2008
US
I am unable to connect to the internet using either my wireless card or internal nic. I noticed that when I try to ping either my gateway or any other valid address I get a GENERAL FAILURE error. I can ping 127.0.0.1 with no errors. Any ideas?

What version of Windows?

Have you tried a repair?

On any version of windows, you can try:

Windows Key + R
type cmd
Hit Enter button
type ipconfig /release
wait for it to do its thing, then
type ipconfig /renew

Then ping, and see what you get..

Then there's another fix that's metnioned on these forums often, but I can't remember the term - it's one I've never seemingly needed to use. If the other doesn't take care of network connection issues, usually just uninstalling them (device manager), and reinstalling takes care of it...

Let us know your progress, and what/if anything fixes your issue..

Yes, I also ran winsock fix used and rebuilt the tcpip stack.

I found this link that states the following:
Hi,

I have faced the same issue with my HP laptop and Vista OS. I was trying to get any help from different website and also spoke with HP technical support team online. No one can help me a bit and from all where I hard different comments like; I need to Format my system or my Lan card is bad so I only need to change my Mother board and it is the only solution, this ward was came from HP Service Center in my city, and the other ward Formatting was came from HP online support team. By finally I came out with the solution. please read below:

1) Go to recovery manager.
2) Click on Advance.
3) Select Driver recovery.
4) choose Your Lan card driver and WLAN driver.(Note you cannot select more than one at a time so do it twice step by step).
5) After doing these two step open recovery manager again and select Advance.
6) Select Software re-installation.
6) Select Norton Anti virus to re-install and repair. You will be prompt with some alert massages or commands just do as it instructed.
7) It will ask you to restart your system like previous recovery steps.

And after it restart your system, you will find that your General Failure Ping issue will be resolve as it was practically tested my myself. Please let me know if it Helps any body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back