Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Experiences? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisVstar

Technical User
Jul 7, 2020
NL
Hi! After more than a decade on Avaya, due to legal stuff, we might have to switch to Mitel.
What am I getting into?

Any experiences you can share with a lowly tech user/2nd line support?

You should be ready to take the Mitel system administrator course as soon as you know what Mitel system you'll be using. Your vendor will be able to nominate you for the proper training course. Not much of the programming is a natural progression and stabbing at it without training will cause you more headaches than you can imagine. Mitel premise solutions are generally very reliable if programmed properly.

I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, I'm just not going to suppose very hard.

not as easy to pickup as ip office
also mitel isnt as reliable as it used to be - not much development happening now - seem to be more interested in offloading their customer base to ring central

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Think there used to be some pride in Mitel, since the venture capitalists , it seems that they want to outsource all. Don't see this business kodel going forward too much.

I'd put money on Mitel focusing on their MiContact offering in the coming years and letting RingCentral pick up the rest.

With reliable Internet or private IP, it does not make sense to run an on-prem PBX. Unless you have an office in the woods without any connection. I used to run a sizable Mitel shop. At some point we migrated to SIP trunking over private IP, and disconnected all PRI and POTS. After that it was a matter of time for the branch boxes to die out as users moved to cell phones and corporate IM solution. Some dinosaurs desktop users were reconnected to the hosted PBX.

If needing to stay on-prem I would always recommend Mitel MIVB as an enterprise solution.
For smaller companies, like under 75 extensions there are some good alternatives but once multi-site, multi-controller, multi-dialing paths enter the mix its Avaya or Mitel.
Programming can be a little complex but once it is running it is solid...
Mitel releasing new hardware for the MiVB service recently means it will maintain this as it's enterprise/hospitality service of choice.

Price wise comparable to Avaya, but waaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper SWA than Cisco.

Saying that for an enterprise setup don't skimp on vMiCollab, MBG, MiCC, etc for the setup.

Get in close and good with your provider. Getting a couple good contacts there is good idea to bounce some questions off of as there is no way you will remember everything at the start!

The new controller looks interesting, will have to see how it works whensetup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back