Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Best Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

hc1619

Programmer
Feb 17, 2004
NZ
I have a dating site.. with profiles. On each profile page I do a select from two tables using inner join. I have information on a 3rd table (about 10 varchar(250) fields) which contains more profile info. To view this though the user must click on another area of the profile and open up the new page.

What i want to do is display these 10 varchar fields on my main profile page, to eliminate the need to click and view a new page. What I'm wondering.. is do I had the table as a 3rd table in my select.. so i've got 3 tables on inner join.. OR.. add the 10 varchar fields to the main profile table.. so its all kept in one place. The issue is that this main profile table is quite big already.. i have about 30 fields.. about 15 tinyints.. some ints, 10 varchars.. etc etc. Which is better... to add the 3rd table to my select, or to combine the two tables so.. which will be faster.. less stress on the server etc etc.

First two joined tables, what they actually do?

------
heisenbug: A bug that disappears or alters its behavior when one attempts to probe or isolate it
schroedinbug: A bug that doesn't appear until someone reads source code and realizes it never should have worked, at which point the program promptly stops working for everybody until fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back