Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2005
GB
Hi all,

I have just finished and passed my XP exam but I am a bit confused as to where to start next. I'm looking at doing the Windows 2003 Server route (not the messaging or security route).

Which should I tackle next (I say this because maybe it's best to do a certain one first so that it gives you knowledge that you would need on the next)? One of the core 2003 exams? Out of these are 290, 291, 293, and 294.

Should I start with the messaging one? If so, which is better to do - the design one (285) or the implementing one (284).

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards..

Karl

It's best to do the core exams in order. 290 then 291 then 293 then 294. They all build on each other.

Someone else will need to speak to the exchange ones as I haven't taken the exchange exams.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I've taken 5 exams now. I'd say at least do 290 and 291 before trying an Exchange exam. 293 and 294 + security stuff more relate to what was covered in 290 and 291. I am working on 284 now and it doesnt seem to bad so far. It does help to know more about servers for taking this one.

Ryan

MCP/MCDST/MCSA 2003

Thanks Ryan, maybe it is best to do the servers first then.

I still say if I could do it over again, I would have read the 70-294 book first, and then started training and taking the tests in order. 290, 291, and 293 cover Active Directory questions in the tests, but don't actually teach about AD in the books. It's very frustrating at first, but after I failed the first time I knew right away why and started studying with more then just the MS Press books. Hands-on is the best way to remember anything so if you can setup a test enviroment, or toy with work servers then I would highly recommend it.

One word of advice as well, as easy as the XP exam was, don't get complacent with the 290 exam, it's a different kettle of fish completely.

As has already been mentioned do them in the order that MS have put them in, certainly 290 first then 291 as they lean on each other a little.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Just to comment on SimonDavies's post of a few weeks ago, 70-291 does include quite a bit of material from 70-290. Since I assume that anyone taking these two would then go on to 70-293, that exam also retreads some of the same concepts in 70-290 and 70-291, unless things have changed significantly since I took them.

That said, I'd stick with the MS suggested order:
70-290
70-291
70-293
70-294 (which I'm scheduled for in March).

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

From what I noticed the 293 built on the 291 exam more then any other. I failed the 291 twice and studied like crazy. The 293 I read the book in about three weeks strolled in and passed the exam with ease. I was so confident because the book just felt the same and I really studied hard for the 291, I'm STILL surprised I failed the second time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back