Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

geforce3 ti200 for gaming....

Status
Not open for further replies.

estesflyer

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
Here are some specs...

win98SE
512 megs pc133 memory (good stuff from 1stchoice, not cheap shit...)

amd t-bird 1.0 ghz 266 FSB

k7vza rev. 3 mobo (latest via 4in1 drivers installed)

ibm deskstar 60gxt 20 gig hardisk

geforce3 Ti200

sound blaster audigy x-gamer

pioneer 16x dvd/48x cd drive (internal)

ok, when I go to play games like mdk2, half-life, age of empires, and age of empires 2, the game closes and I return to my desktop w/out warning. Well, in mdk2, I recieve an error, then it returns to the desktop...

I never had any problems w/ my 16 meg pci video card... =)
that thing was so slow, well.... goodness... =)

anyways, dvd movies run fine! I recieve VERY little skipping but that is, (or so I believe..) due to the dvd drive or the software decoding.... Anyways, it's kinda pissing me off... I downloaded the latest versions of the nvidia drivers, which didn't do much... got the latest version of the via4in1 drivers, which didn't do much either... then I even went to the bios and set the agp mode to 2x instead of 4x!

None of the above work... Oh yeah, I even underclocked the video card, which didn't work either...

I don't know what the problem is... I am getting pretty pissed off tho...

Anyways, if you feel like you wanna donate your two cents worth, please do it... Keep in mind tho, nickles, dimes, quarters and even dollars are welcomed as well!! ;)

TIA

- Rusty - Rusty

The first (and only) thing I see is you should reduce your ram down to 256meg. Win98 has problems with memory greater that something around 380meg - If I remember correctly Win98 calculates how much harddrive space that's used for caching based upon how much ram is in the system, and for whatever reason does not work well with large amounts of ram.

Other than that, what brand of video card did you purchase?

I seriously doubt overheating is an issue, because that would lock up Windows solid, and you are just getting kicked out of the games.

Also double check with agp drivers you installed with the 4in1 drivers, with the agp slot set at 4x in the bios, you should use the turbo agp drivers.

I can't help much but I just got a new computer with the same video card and there are newer drivers available then the ones that come with the card.

I don't know if it will solve your problem but I did see some improvement in performance after installing them.

Every thing I have tried to run has worked well, I'm running Windows XP. Some of the older games I have tried are running in Windows 98 compatibility mode.

Nohj

I friend of mine had some problems with the newest detonator drivers. Try to uninstall the current drivers. Install the second newest detonator drivers from nvidia.com and see what happens.
Is this the Creative geforce ti200?
How warm is the processor during gaming?
Do you have the latest directX software? /Sören

Can you confirm the make/model of your motherboard as I have seen similar problems with the ECS K75SA.
These boards sometimes don't like PC133 and run rock solid on DDR memory, odd I know.
Also Download and install Dirext X 8a. Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

the card is PNY (verto) geforce3 ti200... I have it underclocked, have downloaded and installed the latest via chipset drivers in turbo mode, downloaded and installed the latest nvidia detonator drivers... What about disabling virtual memory in win98?

Or what if I went to using windowsxp or 2000 prof or something?

i am running directx 7a.... came w/ mdk2 or something...

pretty odd if you ask me... thanks anyways... - Rusty

How about downloading and installing the latest drivers for the games you are trying to play, they might fix issues with your Geforce card. Biffo, the Godfather of making mistakes in life. Although, his Tek-Tips answers and questions are no mistakes.

lol @ biffo !!

nice sig !

seriously though directX8 is a must, as is each and every patch for any games you are trying to play. Does it work if you choose your game engine as sortware rendering rather than direct3D or openGL ????? T3/\/\p()
tek-tips regular.

Thank you tempo21! Biffo, the Godfather of making mistakes in life. Although, his Tek-Tips answers and questions are no mistakes.

I believe that the problem is not associated with your video card but with your mobo.
I have a K7VZA mobo card and it works fine doing everything but playing games. Usually anytime I'm playing a game my whole system restarts about 5-10 minutes into the game. No warning, no nothing.
I don't believe it's your video card because I'm running a 16mg AGP Voodoo 3000 card that has always been reliable for me. I've installed all the lastest patches for my mobo, windows, and my video card yet I still have the same problems.
So, if I were you I would look around for advice on how to fix the mobo:)
Although I've been doing that for a week and have yet to fix my problem.

I think I have read somewhere that some motherboards can't supply enough power through the agp to power G-force 3 and up.
I think I saw it on the INNO3D faq site.May or may not be relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back