Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GeForce2 MX/MX 400 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenRitch

Technical User
May 20, 2003
US
Computer:
XP Professional
Pentium IV 2.25GHz processor
512MB RAM
GeForce2 MX 400 (Gateway) 64MB Video Card

Problem:
I won't run Halo: Combat Evolved. Rather, it state "Your Computer's video driver is known to have serious issues with this game. A newer version that is compatible may be available."

I downloaded the latest video driver and still get the same message. I also tried turning off the video card's antialiasing abilities believing that was the FSAA thing Halo said it had trouble with. Still won't work. Any ideas???

Thanks

I know it's not the answer that you want to read, but even if the driver was okay the performance of an MX400 for Halo will make you nuts. Way too slow. Time to put $150 on a better card? The MX400 is the bottleneck for games, not the rest of your machine. Halo runs like a charm on a Radeon 9600XT.

The MX440 is okay for very slow paced games but halo needs the power of a betyter grade card as felixc stated.

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

In playing around with my video drivers, I somehow royally messed up everything. I first tried using the system restore feature within XP, but even though I could see Windows on my monitor, it still wasn't back to normal. The very last (very stupid) thing that I did was disable my video card and reboot. From that point forward I've been unable to see anything on my monitor except for the brief boot options and subsequent Windows logo (i.e. the monitor is blank after it boots).

I believe the computer is booting fine because once it finishes, I can move my mouse around and hear it hover over the Norton Anti-virus buttons (because I need to renew my subscription, Norton is the first thing that pops up after a boot).

I've tried booting using all the different options: "with previous settings that worked", various Safe Modes, etc. but nothing works. In fact, when I try to boot in a Safe Mode, the computer never finishes booting. It seems to get stuck after filling my monitor with a lot of lines such as "………..\system32\……..sys".

I went into BIOS thinking I could somehow re-enable my video card but there's no option for that there. I also tried physically removing my video card and reinstalling it, but that didn't work either.

I've thought about booting with the Windows XP CD to reinstall Windows, but how can I do that if I can't see the prompts? Any ideas?

do you have any other vid Card?? If so put it in and try It doesn't need to be any thing fancy just a vid card.

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

AllenRitch
Clear the cmos!
Either using the cmos clear jumper, if it has one, or remove the button battery (on the motherboard) for 5 minutes.
Reset bios defaults!
Restart
As others have already said:
A Geforce2 MX400 is going to be pityfully slow with these games.
Suggest:
9600pro/9600XT/9700pro/9800/etc
5700/5700ultra/5800/5900/5900XT etc

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I originally ran halo with a geforce4mx card and it was barely playable on that, its entirely likely that a geforce2mx flavour may not have some of the hardware onboard to support it being as its a cut down geforce2 gts card(HW T&L cut out on MX sometimes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back