Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geforce 4 Ti4200 Video Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omitron

Technical User
Apr 12, 2003
US
Hi,
I just recently bought a Gainward Geforce 4 Ti4200 video card and it has been acting up latley while using any programs really, but mostly in games. The problem is seems to occur randomly when I am in a program/game, the entire screen just basiclly flips out and shows random colors and patterns, then after about 8 seconds my entire system crashes. I am not even entirley sure if it is the video card. My system is custom built so I there might be a compatibility issue, but I wouldn't know. I am willing to answer more questions if more info is needed.

Thanks in Advance

I had very similar symptoms to you (the screen turning like a mosaic and XP reporting a possible graphics card problem, it would do the same as yours, run with this mosaic image then bomb out altogether, sometimes it wouldn't boot to windows but just a black screen.
The problem was very random, it could go days without faulting and then other times the PC was unusable.
After pulling my hair out for a couple of weeks, I just stumbled across the problem, 2 pins in the main power plug to motherboard we burning out, and another two had also been getting hot, you could see that the plastic plug had gone brown with heat on 4 of the red +5volt lines.
The worst thing of all was I've got an expensive Enermax PSU. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

So if I replace my main power plug (if it is showing symptoms of buring out) that might help my problem. What did you do when you found out what was wrong exactly?

Thanks For the original Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back