Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geforce 3 ti200 and Redhat 9 probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamfool

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2003
GB
Linux: Redhat 9
Graphics card: Geforce 3 Ti200 64mb
Monitor: Unknown/Unset

I downloaded the linux drivers for this card from Nvidia, came out of x server.

Did

sh Nvidia-Linux (etc)

and they installed. I then edited the XF86Config:

replace

driver "nv" with driver "nvidia"

checked that the following was present

Load "glx"

and took out the followin (only dri was there)

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

Ok so everything done as per instructed by Nividia. I added the option to reduce the x boot up time as suggested by Nvidia

Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP, TV"

PROBLEM

The problem Iam getting is that although now my driver has changed to 'Nvidia', I cannnot get a resolution higher than 800x600.
The option is there it just will not change. I set it up in redhat 9/display but it restarts back in 800x600.
I edited the XF86Config to change the modes to 1024x768 and it failed to boot into x, saying something like it couldnt find a compatable mode.

I thought that this might be because my monitor is not being found (its a cheap unbranded thing) and so maybe I needed to add

Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"

but this didnt do anything, although when i restart x, it tells me the resolution has changed to 1024x768 for example...but in fact it is still 800x600

Ok so does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Any tips for optimal configuration of this card? Any help would be great. Hopefully I ve provided enough info.

It may be that you are using an unknown monitor. Could you get higher than 800x600 before you installed the nvidia drivers?

Have a look at the back of the monitor and try and get some info on the Horzontal and Vertical refresh rates. Try and find a manufacturer or a website.

ummm i am sorry to say this is an example of me being a complete idiot. I left the monitor on unprobed , rather than putting it on generic. I didnt realise i had to do that, sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back