Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gcc link options ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lim

Programmer
Aug 15, 2000
US
May be somebody knows.
I keep my object files into two directories.
In one is master code.
In other is currently developing objects.
When I am linking I want to use some files from master directory the others from current.
With vendor compilers I am creating objlist.txt file with list of objects full names kind of:
/usr/people/me/master_obj/start.o
/usr/people/me/local_obj/interface.o

and use option fot ld:
on SGI: -objectlist objlist.txt
on HP: -c objlist.txt
on SUN: I didn't find this option so I am creating make on the fly (by my script) with full list of objects.

Now I am trying to use gcc to compile my project and I didn't find this option (read object files list from text file) at all.
I see the only one way (like with SUN) to create makefile on the fly. Is there any other way?
Thanks. [sig][/sig]

Why don't you use a source control ( RCS ) to do your job?

I use CVS. But how this can "do the job"? We use next architecture:
1) We have always full source been checkout in master directory (on server) and avalible for any computer.
2) I have compiled master object from this source (for each platform).
3) Developers copy only one module from this master directory (this is not a real checkout from CVSROOT, just copy of previously checkout version).
4) Now developer has only one module on his workstation and can compile this module into object files (includes also checkout on master).
5) Then he can link his local object with master objects on server.
6) When developer finished module. I make checkin, then checkout this module in master directory and recompile source.
So how CVS can help with this? All includes has to be visible to compile local objects and all object has to be visible for linker to link project and I don't want to keep whole copy of source and objects on local computers (this is a BIG project!).
If you can offer a new way of doing this I will glad to hear it.
Thank you.

I think you'd better build a Makefile .

Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back