Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GBIT Cable Length???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2003
US
i have some cisco 3548 switches which we need to move from the lan room to each floor.
These swtiches are connected to a 3508 master switch via the gbit adapter and cable.
my question is if we move these switches to each floor - whats the maximum length of the cable that we can use? from the gbit connector to the master switch.
also whats the name of this cable?
my experience with cisco equipment is limited
thanks in advance

If you are using GBIC adapters your distances depends on the media. A TX GBIC will go several hundred feet, multimode fiber up to around 1800ft and single mode fiber up to 40-60km. Those are rough numbers. Results will vary with the quality of the intaller. If you are connecting them with the GIGA-STACK converters I think you are limited to about 3 feet.
The gigastack are also half-duplex btw.

thanks for the answer -
and yes i am connecting them in a stack.
for example there will be 3 switches in one floor so there will be connected in a cascaded stack. i am wondering if this is the most effective way to do this. most importantly if the cable can be this long to reach the lan room. i think the distance is about 100 feet or so.
i am doing more research on this but if anyone has some ideas will be greatly appreciated -
thanks a lot

Gigastack are full duplex until you use both ports on the gigastack module, then it will kick down to half duplex.

BuckWeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back