Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gbic compatibity Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CISCOROB

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2001
CA
Hello Cisco Experts,

Looking for help concerning the compatibility of various gbics specifically the ability to interchange them between various types of switches

situation ...
I have a significant stock of cisco gbics both WS-G5484 and WS-G5486 (SX and LX)

I have a compaq fiber channel 1GB SAN switch 16 that that also takes Gbics. The long haul gbic from compaq is p/n 340412-B21. When you look at the label on these compaq gbics they read "IBM". I don't have spares of this type.

I have tried unsuccessfully to use a compaq SX gbic in a cisco switch ... no light and the sh int does not think anything is pluged in.

What I'd like to know is can I use a Cisco WS-G5486 long haul gbic in my Compaq 16 port SAN switch successfully? Anybody try this?

Cisco claims that their Gbics and switches support the standard IEEE 802.3z. I have not been able to find supporting docs for the compaq fiber channel switch.

Given the results of my tests, I am a little hesitant to try this test myself on our live SAN.

Also, what luck have people had using "Transition Networks" gbics in either cisco or Compaq environments?Comments.

Thanks in advance

CiscoRob

SX <-> SX or LX <-> LX should work fine. However switch the two around won't work.

I have run IBM GBICS in Cisco switches before and they work fine. Can't garantee about the Compaq though. It's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back