Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gateway device types

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlycord

Programmer
Sep 22, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Example:
1 head office and 1 remote office
1 point to point T1 via fiber is in place for data network

1. What is required from the teclo whom supplies this T1 so we could utilize it for linking the phone systems also?

2. What equipment would be required such as what type of gateway?

Any more info appriciated.

Thanks

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Why not just use IP trunks across the data network ? That would be my choice as I belive the config would be much easier, cheaper, and less points of failure from a support perspective.

A couple quick questions...
1- Number of phone at each site (used to calculate traffic - at least basic numbers for now)?
2- PBX's at each location-
- do they support VoIP Trunking?
- if not - do they support T1/PRI?
2- Does your existing data network support QoS?

Bryan J Miles
Systems Engineer
Service Communications, Inc.

Maybe I should be clear on the question... Do they support VoIP? I am assuming they both are BCM's but do you have VoIP/SIP trunk authorization codes installed on them?

In case someone wants to be jokester in here.

Bryan J Miles
Systems Engineer

I believe this question was posed for my benifit
Thank You Curlycord!!
BMiles
No the systems involved are: 1 MICS 7.1 with a PRI. An older option 11 with analog trunking. and a newer option 11 and I am not sure what for trunking but i think it is DTI each in a different city. There is a T1 10 meg managed network connecting their data network.

Thanks again

Ahhh.. You can use a couple different devices. If you expect a high number of calls then I would look at a T1/PRI integration to a local media gateway. I use either Net Systems VTX 1200 Gateway or Audio Codes Mediant 1000. The basic theory is... PBX/Key system to local gateway (TDM connection) - no need to upgrade or purchase more licensing - local gateway connects to Local LAN - WAN - Remote LAN - then to the Remote Gateway. At this point you then connect through a TDM connection (T1/PRI) to the remote PBX/Key system. I have found this to be fairly inexpensive when compared to upgrading systems. If your interested in this but dont feel comforatble with it, you can always lean on a partner like us. As there will be parameters and a dial plan to setup on the gatewasy to accomplish this. The other up-sell is that these gateways are the same devices you would use if/when you decide to go to a Call Server solution (which is where all the systems are headed if they are not there already). The devices can be redistributed in a new design (your not throwing captial away on old technology).

Bryan J Miles
Systems Engineer

Bryan

this sounds encouraging!
I don't expect a high number of calls in any direction.
I was thinking of only 4 or so trunks from each site.
Is it feasible to use analog trunks. as one site I believe only has analog trunks.
I would imagine with digital trunking setting up direct in dialing would be easier. but if there is a solution that is do-able with analog trunking I would prefer it, I imagine this might require using only one way trunking.

Thank you

I would suggest one of the following...
MP114/2FXS/2FXO - 2 FXS Ports + 2 FXO Ports
MP118/4FXS/4FXO - 4 FXS Ports + 4 FXO Ports

One has 4 trunks (2 in each direction) and the other has 8 (4 in each direction). You will need one at each site. You will need the capacity in your PBX/Key systems to add the ports necassary for these devices. You will virtually connect FXO - Trunk Ports of each device to the FXS Ports of the other device. Essentially extending your analog trunks to the other system.

Bryan J Miles
Systems Engineer

The norstar doesn't have many trunk options, but Can I dial out on a LSDS trunk from the norstar thru a fxo and fxs in the MP118's to an incoming DID trunk on the option 11 and likewise, out on a DOD or two way trunk on the option 11 to a DID on the norstar.??
or will it only ring into the switchboard or auto attendant at the incomming site?

Thanks

There are 2 options... Simple = Attendant or Auto Attendant answer lines at each end or use site/location codes + dn dialing (automatic or manual). I have seen all three in operation. It all depends on what you and/or your customer want to support.

Bryan J Miles
Systems Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back