Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GateKeeper devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondebbs

MIS
Dec 28, 2005
US
A while back EMC installed our first dmx1000. We connected Windows, AIX and Unisys hosts. They also planned to connect our new ECC server to DMX ports 2:d0 and 15:d0. They mapped serveral 5.5GB devices along a 132GB meta and several small gatekeeper devices to those ports. The next EMC guy installed ECC on the Windows local hard drives (even the oracle repository that was suppose to sit on the dmx). None of the devices on 2:d0 or 15d:0 are being used.

I would now like to use those two ports for a new Windows based project. For the time being ECC is running fine on the local drives. I plan on disolving the meta and unmapping all devices on the 2:d0 and 15d:0 ports. I'm not sure how the gatekeepers work. Am I safe to remove them? I'm guessing that none of my AIX, Windows or Unisys hosts use them since those hosts are mapped to different Fiber Adapters. Just want to double check to make sure they are safe to remove.

If your ECC server is running a Symmetrix Agent, then it is NOT OK to remove the gatekeepers. The ECC Symmetrix agent uses these GKs to communicate with and manage the Symm.

If, however, you have a separate host that is running a Symmetrix Agent, then you can remove the GKs from the ECC server.

The above applies also for the SDM Agent.

Execellent info. It looks like the ECC server is only running the Clariion agent. The symetrix agent is being run on two different windows servers.

Based on that I should be good to remove the gatekeepers that are on the 2:d0 and 15:d0 ports (ecc server ports).

Thanks - Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back