Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gaps between item numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kermit01de

Technical User
Jan 20, 2002
DE
Hi there,
we have an SQLtable "item" that contains a full range of items. We usually assign 6-digit-numbers as [No_].

I already have a script, that finds free numbers:
SQL:
Select
  t.[No_]+1 as LueckeVon,
  (Select MIN(CAST([No_] as int))-1 From [BODAN600].[dbo].[BODAN Gh_ für Naturkost GmbH$Item] Where CAST([No_] as int)>CAST(t.[No_]as int)) as LueckeBis
From 
  [BODAN600].[dbo].[BODAN Gh_ für Naturkost GmbH$Item] t
Where
  (Select MIN(CAST([No_] as int))-CAST(t.[No_] as int) From [BODAN600].[dbo].[BODAN Gh_ für Naturkost GmbH$Item] Where CAST([No_] as int)>CAST(t.[No_]as int))>1

The problem is: Of some reason there are Items that have item.[No_] like "IT-0001", "AGILES", "PZ-0001" etc. So if I run the script on the live-db I get the error

Msg 245, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
Fehler beim Konvertieren des varchar-Werts 'AGILES-DL' in den int-Datentyp.

So I usually restored the db on the testsystem, deleted the alpha-items and let the script run. Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment, because there are several things to test on the test-db, and restore would overwrite the test-objects.

Any idea how to filter out the numeric and only use these for gap-analysis.

Thank you!

Kind regards
Mirko
--------------------------------------
>>>>>> ... I am sure, some supportissues are a matter of PEBKAC ... <<<<<

Thank you Borislav,
I already checked it, but as I am no SQL-Programmer - how to integrate in the existing script? I tried several things - without success.
Any hint?

Kind regards
Mirko

Code:
WHERE ISNUMERIC([No_]) = 1

NOT TESTED!!!!!!

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP2, SQL Server

Unfortunately this does not work:

SQL:
Select
  t.[No_]+1 as LueckeVon,
  (Select MIN(CAST([No_] as int))-1 From [BODAN600].[dbo].[BODAN Gh_ für Naturkost GmbH$Item] Where CAST([No_] as int)>CAST([No_]as int)) as LueckeBis
From 
  [BODAN600].[dbo].[BODAN Gh_ für Naturkost GmbH$Item] t
Where
	ISNUMERIC([No_]) = 1 AND
	(Select MIN(CAST([No_] as int))-CAST([No_] as int) From [BODAN600].[dbo].[BODAN Gh_ für Naturkost GmbH$Item] Where CAST([No_] as int)>CAST([No_]as int))>1

--> Msg 8120, Level 16, State 1, Line 10
Die BODAN600.dbo.BODAN Gh_ für Naturkost GmbH$Item.No_-Spalte ist in der Auswahlliste ungültig, da sie nicht in einer Aggregatfunktion und nicht in der GROUP BY-Klausel enthalten ist.

Kind regards
Mirko

I can not understand the error message :)

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP2, SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back