Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gantt chart Task Row height will not reduce when plotted

Status
Not open for further replies.

0sprey

Technical User
May 9, 2015
CA
I am plotting a large project and trying to force the Gantt chart to fit on one C size sheet (22”x17”).

However, as I force the gantt to fit the sheet, the row height of the task area, to the left side of the gantt, will only reduce no less than about 1/4” even though the Task font is much smaller.

Anyone see this condition before ? Is there a cure ?

Probably no cure. MS Project is not very good for pretty pictures. You could try exporting to Excel or Visio for a prettier presentation.

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

Seems the issue exists only when the plan is printed by the HP plotter.
When plotting to this device the row height becomes twice that which would normally be required. This does not happen when printing to a network laser printer at 8.5x14.

This was not always the case.
The plan plotted to a C Size (17x22) sheet before and now due to increase row height it has become full sheets.

We use these sheets in client meetings so this sitution is a wee bit of headache.

Looking now for what change I made to the gannet chart or some aspect of formatting thst caused this condition.

@0sprey, as I recall in the somewhat recent past, I had occasion to print Gantt-like charts on a plotter from Excel. They were indented bills-of-material: material availability-dates & manufacturing schedule-dates/build-spans on a time-line.

This worked fairly well in Excel, except for the fact that some BOMs had a handfull of parts while others had too many to fit on the plotter sheet, either on the x or y axis.

I ended up usng an Excel feature called the Camera (icon looks like a 35mm camers). The Camera reference range would be the BOM data created by the program, which could and often did exceed the space available on the plotter sheet. However on the Camera result sheet, the dimension of the result “picture” was constant. The “picture” always fit the plotter sheet. The picture display (what was seen or displayed in the picture area) either expanded or contracted to show all the Gantt data proportionally. It satisfied the requirements of my management.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Great tip about : "CAMERA"

This will be helpful In a few different ways... Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back