Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gaming Server Hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

humanoidcontent

Programmer
Apr 5, 2005
CA
Hi, I came a accross these forums in my search and started reading. One of my many hobbies is leading a gaming clan for Jedi Knight 3 and one of my members hosted a home server for us.

We had a dispute with another clan by accident and it looks like they may be looking for revenge. I know the clans leader hacks because I used to be talking with him and I know he's taken down other clans. He used lag-spikes on them and that's exactly what we experienced the day before I got confirmation.

I plan on reporting it to the police, but I was wondering if I need anything before we jump into this. I don't have proof it was him, so my first question would be is there any way to find out who did it? I do have the clan leader's msn, email, and some text that he would be looking to hurt our clan, but unfortunately I did not log the msn conversation where he hacked another clan.

I do have an email from him from when I registered on their site, however I do not know how to track it, I did not understand earlier explanations.

Any help or advice would be superb, thanks.

Lag Spiking is not nessarly hacking
he could just be using somthing as simple as icmp (i.e ping) to use up recources on your server so it cannot service request so your game's ping rate goes up.

The police cannot do much but you can report him to his ISP.

On the server install somthing like ethereal to monitor traffic and have a look at what is going on

the out put can be saved and posted if you are not sure what is going on.

If you see alot of echo replies look at the destination address and then do an nslookup or tracert this should tell you who the ISP is....

Best option is to install a firewall on the server to activly drop connections from unknown ports and only alowing the game port to access the server..

Good Luck

Simon

None of them have fixes for JK3...

And look at what I know... the hacker I was talking about still hacks, but I have better info stating that there may be a hacker clan running around.

What a wonderful world we live in!

There are fixes for the examples 12534 and 12976. However, I do not beleive the fixes are supported by the game manufacturers.
BTW, which hacking clan are you talking about? I've probably already ran into them, and could help you out.

I forgot to ask....doesn't JK3 use the Quake3 engine? I posted those links because they concern the Quake3 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back