Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Game programming books 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheInsider

Programmer
Jul 17, 2000
CA
Hi,
I have been looking for a good Windows game programming book for ages. I am about 3/4 through Andre' LaMothe's "The Black Art of 3D Game Programming". This is the greatest thing since sliced bread for someone who is new to game programming like me, but unfourtunately it is DOS based. Don't get me wrong, DOS is great, but I would like to create games like Driver, Quake, and Interstate '76. Obviously mine won't be as good, but I'd like to start to learn DirectX mainly Direct3D. I am sick of looking through the mixed reviews at Amazon.com. One person swears by a book, another swears at it! =) How do I learn this sort of programming? Has anyone successfully learned Windows 3D game programming fundamentals from reading a particular book - enough to start writing a game? Any game programmers out there who can suggest some good sources? I specialized in C++ OOP, and C Windows API in college. I'm a little rusty due to the fact that I have been developing databases in Visual Basic and Access for the last 1 1/2 years since graduating, so I don't need any super-advanced books right now.
Thank you for any suggestions. [sig]<p>Rob Marriott<br><a href=mailto:rob@career-connections.net>rob@career-connections.net</a><br>[/sig]

A friend of mine has made a StarTrek real time game, an RPG (multiplayer) and is now busy with a turn based game. All this in Visual Basic.
See his website:
Regards, [sig]<p>Bert Vingerhoets<br><a href=mailto:vingerhoetsbert@hotmail.com>vingerhoetsbert@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= worry what people think about you. They're too busy wondering what you think about them.[/sig]

Thanks [sig]<p>Rob Marriott<br><a href=mailto:rob@career-connections.net>rob@career-connections.net</a><br>[/sig]

Just out of curiousity, have you seen the GameDev site ( It's got loads of information on DirectX and Direct3D programming. It's not a book, but it's a good source of information!

Hi,
Thanks, I have seen GameDev.net, it's great but I was hoping to hear of any books that have helped people learn DirectX (particularly Direct3D) programming. I read the reviews on Amazon.com and the book links on GameDev.net link to them too, however noone ever says: &quot;This is one the book that really taught me game programming&quot;. The reviews are too mixed. I have come to the point where I might as well just read the documentation that comes with DirectX 7! At least noone is complaining about it.

Rob Marriott
rob@career-connections.net

Hi,
I have been reading &quot;Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus&quot; by Andre' LaMothe, this was the highest rated game programming book that I could find. It is excellent! I have read almost 3/4 of his other book &quot;The Black Art of 3D Game Programming&quot; which is also excellent and I intend to finish it! I am learning quite fast - in about 2 weeks I am going to start writing a side scroller engine in DirectDraw. I am aiming to work in Direct3D IM - but hey its a start =). To the visitor who posted as &quot;a game on assembly&quot;: Just out of curiosity what kind of game are you trying to write in Assembly? Assembly is very quick and powerfull, but it is too low-level to write a complex game (though I am sure that it has been done many times). Game programmers usual use a higher level language like Pascal, C, or C++, then use inline assembly to do little tasks very quickly, otherwise developing a game would become quite tedious.

Rob Marriott

You might think of interfacing with a free 3d engine such as its free and has some programming examples. Also is a good place to look....

later
ackka
ackka@mad.scientist.com
duke_wave.gif
Java is the Future

Thanks, I have tried OpenGL and I do like it, but stopped programming in it because I thought that it was too slow to write a game in. Since then I have seen many games written in OpenGL. I didn't know enough about speed optimization at the time, so I was trying to program in 24bit color mode. I'll have a look at what you suggested.

Rob Marriott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back