Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Game-playing at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

shunter40

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2001
US
Is there a way to find out if an employee is playing games at work? The computer he is using is a stand-alone PC, not connected to a network. Are there any identifying files on the hard drive that would identify game-playing?

And unless you have a specific game in mind, you're out of luck. There are so many games in this world, with so many different "signatures".

Your best bet is to simply go through each fodler by hand... but even then, you've no proof he is playing them in work time. Your best bet is to simply watch him during working hours.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Depending on the OS, there are several logs/trace application that can give you the info on what he's doing, but I don't think this is the forum to ask that.

Maybe the specific OS forum or the Security one.

Cheers,
Dian

Yes, sorry, I didn't realize what forum I was in when I posted. I will try the Security or OS forum. Thank you.

short answer - check the MRU list

The MRU list is so easy to bypass and / or clear, it's hardly accurate. The only accurate way (assuming the user doesn't delete & re-install them after each play) is to manually check the files & folders on the HDD.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back