Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ga-55aa Com's in use ,corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

deka

Technical User
Mar 18, 2001
AU
This is a gigabyte M/B with k6 2 400 CPU 256 sdram win98
Symptom unable to use mouse or modem in either Com 1,2,3,4
Running modem Dr shows COM in use or non existing, modem lighs flash, data test returns corrupt data .
Disabling internal com's and inserting a good com card ...same.
any ideas ???

Try a different modem and set the IRQ settings for something that you know is available.

Are you using a serial mouse or a PS/2 mouse?

Alex

Are the COM ports enabled in BIOS? Cycle the BIOS settings for your onboard COM ports and use KB to view Device Mgr settings and select refresh.

cwpaul

Conrad W. Paul
cwpaul@syd.eastlink.ca
Creative Solutions to Challenging Problems

Since my com ports did not work I was using PS2 for mouse.
I have gone through trying different combinations of COM's
and IRQ's ...same.
No conflicts in Device manager.
In control panel under modems it shows most COM ports as doubles eg. COM2 two times I even have Com5.
===============
The progress so far:
Modem tested with another computer = OK
Tested with another modem = Faulty
Changed M/B same HDD = Faulty
That must only leave win98

Deka

Try deleting all com stuff out of windows. Then let it find stuff again. If it doubles again, then remove the second entry. No guarantees but I have used it before with success. You might also try deleting it , then adding single entry back before rebooting.
Sounds like 98 hardware detection bad on your machine. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I think Ed Fair has it right. I don't have much experience with 98 but the sane thing used to happen to me with some of the setup programs supplied with modems under 95. I used to get two on the same port. After deleting the second it always worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back