Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G450 PRI sending cause code 98 on very sporadic incoming calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

highwood

Vendor
Jul 15, 2003
CA
Hi folks,

Any help on this would be appreciated, but as being this is a fairly sporadic problem (maybe 1 incoming call every few days.) it may be hard to identify.The PBX is rejecting the odd incoming call and sending the call to the failover number. The call comes in on the PRI and may ring the phones a few times and then is rejected by the PBX and the carrier(Shaw Communications provides the PRI)sends the call to the failover number which is a cell phone.(They are seeing cause code 98 at their end for the reason the call is rejected.) I have confirmed with the carrier that we are both set to NI2 standard. The carrier has suggested switching to NI1 to see if the trouble disappears. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or has experienced this before.

Thanks!

Tim P

Likely you have already Googled the cause code and found that it is an incompatible or unsupported message. Have you run an MST trace to see what Q.931 message is being sent before the cause code 98 is returned?

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, Cool Whisperer. I have set up a trace(Hopefully correctly as I do not work on Avaya normally.). Talking with the tech at the service provider, when a call fails, the phone system is sending a status inquiry while the call is ringing. The service provider responds back to that with a call status and that causes the phone system to disconnect from the call. Under a normal call the phone system doesn't send a status inquiry until the call is established. The service provider is trying to see if there is a work around from their end, but if anyone has any ideas, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

does the set have a coverage path or any other type of redirection on no answer? what would you expect to happen if say, voicemail were down and the number were called?

Presumably ring forever if there's no voicemail set up. Eventually the carrier will give up, and should they have alternate routing, they'd try that.

If that number has no treatment on no answer in your switch, maybe you can cover to an announcement that the person is not available.

Just a guess :)

Have you tested the DS1 board to see what tests fail? You should see a protocol mismatch there. Sorry, I don't know the tests by heart. If all is good there that an MST trace on the D channel of the PRI would show you all the signaling going back and forth. This is a good resource for the messages you should see:

Sorry for the delay. I got back today and ran a diagnostic on the DS1 card. the following is what I got.
The test results for all 10 B channels are the same, so I only included results for the 1st one. From what I read the 1116 error code is because the PRI is NI2 and I did not disable the trunks to run the test.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Port MTCE Name ALT. NAME TEST NO. RESULT ERROR CODE
001V2 MG-DS1 138 PASS
001V2 MG-DS1 139 PASS
001V2 MG-DS1 140 PASS
001V2 MG-DS1 141 PASS
001V2 MG-DS1 142 PASS
001V2 MG-DS1 143 PASS
001V2 MG-DS1 144 PASS
001V2 MG-DS1 145 PASS
001V2 MG-DS1 146 PASS
001V2 MG-DS1 1227 ABORT 1412
001V201 ISDN-TRK 0001/001 36 PASS
001V201 ISDN-TRK 0001/001 255 PASS
001V201 ISDN-TRK 0001/001 256 ABORT 1116
001V201 ISDN-TRK 0001/001 257 PASS
001V224 ISDN-PLK 643 PASS

Have you tried the MST yet? That is going to give you a lot more detail than you get testing the board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back