Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G430/S8300D install from scratch (password reset)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOPBAY

Programmer
Sep 29, 2014
AU
Hi everyone,
We are trying to install R6.2 into S8300D from the install DVD.
8G Compact flash is new and 320G HDD is new. S8300D is a secondhand.
We have burned the installer DVD (VSP-6.2.1.0.9.ISO), and connected USB1 port of S8300D, and powered on.
We can access the service port of S8300D via telnet/ssh 192.11.13.6
I have entered user name craft on telnet session and I was expecting password prompt but instead of the password prompt it asked for Challenge Response.
I think it is ASG challenge. Below is the output.

Is there anyway you can stop ASG challenge and put craft/crftpw back? We just need to install R6.2 from DVD.
Thanks for you help in advance.

--------------------------------------
login as: craft
This system is restricted solely to authorized users for legitimate business
purposes only. The actual or attempted unauthorized access, use or modifications
of this system is strictly prohibited. Unauthorized users are subject to
company disciplinary procedures and or criminal and civil penalties under state,
federal or other applicable domestic and foreign laws.

The use of this system may be monitored and recorded for administrative and
security reasons. Anyone accessing this system expressly consents to such
monitoring and recording, and is advised that if it reveals possible evidence
of criminal activity, the evidence of such activity may be provided to law
enforcement officials.

All users must comply with all corporate instructions regarding the protection
of information assets.
Using keyboard-interactive authentication.
Challenge: 444-9999 Product ID:7000502232
Response:

It sounds like it's not booting from the DVD, when you SSH to the 192 address it should just come up to the installer prompts.

Thanks Sean
Are you saying when you ssh to 192.11.13.6 and it will just show the installer without asking username?
I powered G430 and as soon as I got ping reply from 192.11.13.6 ssh/telnet to it but I will get username: prompt. Is there any procedure to boot from DVD via USB1 port?
I heard that USB1 supplies 5v power but sometimes it is not enough amp so the CD-ROM drive needs a separate AC power which I’m doing. Thanks

Correct, when you're connected to the Services port on the 8300 and it has booted from the DVD, you should see the installer when you connect via SSH.
The G430 runs it's own router style software and does not relate to loading software on the 8300.
You could try changing to a different USB port on the 8300. Make sure you're connected to the services port on the 8300 and not the gateway before you SSH.

When I've done these in the past, while connected to the services port of the 8300 I perform a persistent ping the 192 address and power on the gateway. As soon as I start getting responses I attempt to SSH. If the first attempt fails, try again and you should see the setup screen.

Thanks Sean,
Remote hands engineer was connecting the cross over cable to the gateway instead of S8300D so we have retried but so far no luck.
So he kept pinging 192.11.13.6 from his laptop, the external DVD drive (with 2 USB male connectors, one for date+power, and one for only additional power) connected to USB1 of S8300, and Services port connected to his laptop.
Power the gateway on and wait for 5 mins+ but DVD drive won't start turning the disc. No ping reply from 192.11.13.6.
He tried 2 different external DVD drives but no luck.

A few things that have been checked.
He confirmed he can open and close DVD drive (insert & eject) so USB1 port supplies 5v power.
He confirmed he can boot Windows PC with that DVD drive and DVD disc/media and CM installer came up on PC so the media should be ok.

So the issue is S8300 won't boot from DVD.
Is there anything else we can try?

Thanks for your support in advance.

I can tell you that I've had to use specific dvd drives for this. I'd also turn off your wireless as another try. If all is the way it's supposed to be, when you power off and on that GW, once you receive ping replies from 192.11.13.6 you should be able to telnet to it and get to the install menus.

Thanks wpetilli,
Do you know any model of the specific dvd drive? They say that current of the S8300D USB ports is not strong enough and Avaya certified dvd drive has internal battery.
Also Y shape USB cable (one female and 2 males) helps to add more current. The installer image (DVD) has the kickstart script that assigns 192.11.13.6 to SERVICES port so DVD should be loaded in order to ping and telnet.

We have ordered $300 Avaya certified DVD drive now. will see..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back