Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G3R to S87xx migration issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

notbrokedontchangeit

Technical User
Jun 21, 2005
GB
We have an upcoming migration and need to watch out for anything that will bite us.
At the moment we can see our biggest issue is going to be keeping announcements as the old system has TN750 C's and we need to go to VAL boards.
Does anyone have any advice on what we need to do in order to implement this seamlessly and other than Provision/Most what else we need to be looking for?
Many Thanks

I went to the S8710's about 4 months ago from the G3R V11. The announcements will be OK without changing them to the Val Boards. You will not be able to restore them is the only drawback.

The most tool is nice to say the least. I would look at buying my own vs. the provider getting it. The markup was unbelievable. I would guess you could get it for about $150.00 max and they charged me $1200.00 for it. The same goes for the Cat 5E patch cables. Red and Green cables they charged me over $100.00 each for I can get for less than $20.00.

The only real problem we had during the cutover was the TDM bus terminator. The new carriers you will get are Cat 5 rated. The twist of the cables at least doubles the size of the bundles on the backplane of the carriers. This makes it very difficult to place the terminators and bus cables on without bending any pins. We bent one pin and it drove us nuts for several days until we took the switch down again and found it.

We burned in the servers for about a month before we cut. This gave us time to make sure these were stable before putting them into production.

The license files is the next thing to look out for.
Have your provider make sure everything you had turned on is still on. It is impossible to change this on a weekend which is when most people do their cuts. Make sure the offer you get will support your packs.

It took us about 45 minutes to swap out the processor carriers to port carriers. The IPSI's were preprogrammed in other slots (which also saved us some time.)

It’s early here, so that is all that I can come up with BC. (Before Coffee). If I think of anything else during the day to day I will post it for you.

"You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stopped playing."

For the best response to a question, read FAQ222-2244.

Also look at these threads I started before we did our cutover.

thread690-1187485

thread690-1220957

"You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stopped playing."

there is also an issue with trunk measurements corruption. You need to removed this when using the MOST tool.

mrjedi

can you explain about the trunk corruption i have come across that what is the resolution??

you need to start again with the most tool but remove all trunk measurements from the old switch and then move the data to the new switch.

that's what avaya did. We had to roll back the upgrade and they had to simulate this in their labs and found the problem.
Of course, these is no PCN on this yet.

It would also be a good idea the remove all you data modules before the upgrade. That's the problem with the TN750 boards. The data modules go away so their is no way to back them up. I backed these up before the upgrade to make sure they were on the translations loaded into the servers. You must back up 1 board on one optical disk. They will overwrite each other.

Also make sure the TN775 packs are a vintage D on the carriers you plan on installing the IPSI boards in. They have small slots in them for the ribbon cables to rhe IPSI boards. Look at the expansion interface boards too. They will need to be TN 570D Expansion Interface V4 or higher

You didn't mention what version G3R you are upgrading. I can think of about a 1000 different gotchas. The key is to make sure that who ever is doing the upgrade knows what he/she is doing. Don't be afraid to ask the tough quesitons. Is the person doing the install ACE, ACS certified. Have they been formally trained on the equipment? How many other upgrades have they done? Can they provide references? Do they have Provision and are they making a backup of your translations with it?

James Middleton
ACSCI/ACSCD/MCSE
Xeta Technologies
jim.middleton@xeta.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back