Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G3R Analog Card --> Does it inhibit data speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torner

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2000
US
I am the unfortunate data guy who has to interface a remote access modem pool with a Definity G3R. I CAN NOT get a connect speed of more than 28000 on any analog line from the switch. I do not have the part number of the analog card but I do vaguely remember the Lucent tech people saying something about these particular analog cards inhibiting the speed of any data signal.

Can a Lucent analog card do this?? If so, what is the answer???

Had the same problem here. I was told that 28K is the highest speed possible when connecting two analog modems together. Our solution was to install a digital modem card in the RA server.

Now lagest modem speed on analog line board is 56.6 kbps in R9

Tell please. What kind of connectin did you use? internal modem to external modem, or internal modem to internal modem. Speed depend of line noise. If quality of line (internal or external ) is not good, then speed is low. sorry for english

Don't blame the switch yet. As a network admin for a Win2K domain, I couldn't get anything over that speed either with CO lines straight from the Telco. I'm also a Lucent switch dude (7 years with Lucent products). You won't be able to get more than about 28K if you're going analog to analog (in other words...they're calling in on an analog modem and they're ending up on an analog modem). You'll have to spend some big $ to upgrade to some sort of digital connection on your end for the RAS so you basically act like an ISP. I've got 48K outbound on an analog ext. on of a Definity before, calling into my ISP (it's been a few years, I have a cable modem now). So I think your trouble is NOT with the switch. JON

Your analog line will handle 64Kbps. That's 56Kbps plus the signalling overhead on top. Your switch is not the problem. Telcos aren't required (by law) to support anything above 2400bps, which is 'voice grade'.

If the DCP provided less than the 64Kbps bandwidth, they would never have been able to sell it. The switch doesn't even look at the data stream after the DTMF reorder phase is passed. It's a pass through until disconnect when (depending on provision) disconnect supervision kicks in.

I don't think you have got the correct answer yet and I am not sure I am going to be that big of a help.
I do know that the older 8 and 16 port analog cards did not allow any data speeds faster than 28,800 and some may have limited it to even lower speeds but those were the very early relesed cards.
The newer 16 and all 24 port analog cards do not limit the analog speed.
The person that talked about the analog lines to your serving central office and modem to modem speeds is correct and after all is said and done, your problem is not likely to be in your switch.

One solution to your problem would be to purchase a TN556 BRI Card for the PBX and digital modems for PC Server. Digi Modems seem to do well. Digi will give you some docs showing how to config these modems into the PBX.

To answer your question go to:

#3 states you can only have 1 A/D conversion. So if you are going from
analog endpoint to analog enpoint you have 2 conversions. T1 to analog
will support 56K since you only have one conversion. This is a function
of the 56K modem and DEFINITY does not hamper the standard in any way!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back