Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G Card works in Safe made but not XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfbarron

Vendor
Nov 3, 2007
GB
Hi,

This one has got me beat but Its bound to be something ridiculously simple.

PC Specs;

Motherboard Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. Matrox 650. 1 Monitor Samsung Syncmaster 750.
OS, Win XP sp2. CPU amd athlon 2400+. Ram 512. Two hardrives. Seagate 20 gig C drive. Baracuda 40 gig. Pinnacle DV500 (PCI slot) The driver for this has been removed.

Problem.

I do a bit of Video from time to time and work using Premierre 6. Its been a bit sticky in the past but never really had a problem.
However I do now. When ever I click on the Premierre 6 icon on the desk top the screen blacks out and then comes back up a moment later in either safe mode or AVG mode. I don't have this problem with any other graphic applications.

ANyway to continue, I've downloaded fresh drivers for both Mobo, monitor and Matrox card, played around with the resolution, refresh and hardware aceeleration and still no luck.

However, last night I pressed the magic F8 button (advanced for me) placed the system in Safe mode, changed the AVG setting and launched Premierr 6. My god success! It ran perfectly. I then changed the resolution to a higher rate and still premiere held out. worked perfectly. (apart from audio but that's another issue).
However when I then closed the apllication, premierre 6 and then lauched it again it reverted back to its old tricks. The screen blacked out and it was back to poor visual graphics again.

Any ideas?????

There definetly seems to be a conflict between Premierre 6 and the G card here. Another editing software I have works fine.

The other thing is I have noticed in device manager that I have several drivers missing. Two multimedia controller drivers and a RAID driver. I have been trying to locate a source to download these but no luck so far. Not sure if it will solve the problem but its worth a try.

What do you think? Shall I throw the whole thing out the window??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

The Wolfbarron

When did this start? Have you upgraded the firmware on the matrox card? Also what windows are you using? Is the card you are using rated for the os? Also for video editing, you really should get more ram. You should at least 1GB , preferably 2GB.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Thanks for the reply.
Upgraded the firmware on the matrox card? No idea. I will attempt to do this. The OS is windows XP pro+SP2.
The problem first appeared about a year ago. I seem to recall having to re-load XP and that was when the problem arose. I haven't done any editing for a while and so let it hang as all other applications work absolutely fine. But do intend to start editing again and do need to get this sorted.
I haven't checked the matrox compatability issue with XP since as I say all other applications work fine including adobe Photshop, illustrator and a couple of simple editing suits such as Pinnacle suit 7 that I tested. This does seem to be a specific Premierre problem at least as far as I can work out or related to premierre for some reason. But as I say it has worked perfectly well before and with this G card.

I've also noticed in device manager that I have some of those unapealling yellow question marks. Drivers I believe are missing for both 'Multimedia controller' and 'Raid'. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.
I've been trawling the net in search of suitable drivers, have tried both asus and Nvidia, loaded and reloaded and nothing. I even download 'drivemax' diagnostic driver tool and loaded some 38 drivers onto my machine. The ones I need never popped up.
I also think there is one driver, the 'Silicon 3112a' which is recommeneded for the Sata chip but the installation seems a bit complex. Should the loading of this be straight forward or do I have to start playing around with the Bios setting for which my knowledge is somewhat limited. I have the CD/drivers that came with the motherboard but it doesn't seem to nake any difference. Is there another meathod for relaoding these??
I am intending to upgrade, change the IDE drives to Sata and as you suggest get a lot more ram.

What's your view on this?

Once again thanks for your help,

Wolfbarron

When you reloaded xp, did you do a reinstall or did you do a fresh install meaning format the drive and reinstall everything?

As for installing drivers, there are several ways. You can run the installation directly from the setup/install file, or you can update driver through device manager, or you can add new hardware and do it that way. The normal install usually is sufficient for most devices.

Double check again to ensure you have the drivers for xp for your matrox card and everything else. If you did a reinstall over the os, you might be better off doing a clean install providing you have the drivers for at least the network card or dial up modem, whichever you use to connect online with.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back