Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FW STP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdxml12

Technical User
Oct 26, 2012
AE
Hi All,

I had a quick question I wanted to run by you. I have the attached picture for clarification. I have 2 firewalls that will both be on but in transparent mode. If that is the case from my understanding they will be as layer 2 mode. ( These are isg 1000 fw). Am i correct that the topology attached will not work if i want both firewalls to be on because spanning tree will block one connection to the firewall? Or is this a wrong deduction? The plan being being able to use both firewalls to "load balance" the in/out connections to the server. The routing will happen at the core.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi,

Based on your diagram you will need to answer a few questions.
1. Are you running multiple vlans?
2. What type of STP are you running on the switches?
If you are running multiple vlans and PVST on the network, then it is possible to load balance the vlans across multiple links, i.e vlan 1-5 on links A on FW1 and vlan 6-10 on link B on FW2.
Also you might be able to bundle the two physical link into an etherchannel, so that you end up with a logical port-channel.
These are just pointers to get you started.

-Viconsul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back