Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Future of GroupWise on NetWare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2003
US
FYI - Here is an interesting response to a question I posed to Ken Muir, Director of GroupWise Product Development at Novell. My company, in general, has fully embraced Linux as the future of "Novell". We've had very good luck replacing all 'Novell' Services on Linux and OES. So this news should not be seen as negative - but if you don't already have a Migration off of NetWare to either Linux or Windows on your roadmap, now is probably a good time to start thinking about it.

QUESTION:
-------------------------------------------------------
I hope this question is not taken the wrong way.

Novell is slowly killing off the NetWare kernel. This is becoming more clear every day, especially with the new ZENworks release that will not run on NetWare and also the soon to be released OES2 that doesn't have a native NetWare kernel.

Regarding GroupWise, what is the plan moving forward regarding the NetWare kernel? Will Bonzia be NetWare based? What about the next release? We're getting questions from customers about this. Up until recently, I would have told them not to worry about it, NetWare will be around... But now I don't know what to tell them. I personally don't have any problem with it on Linux, but lots of people still have fear and anxiety in this regard.

Thanks.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker
Principal Consultant
Marvin Huffaker Consulting
480-988-7215 office
480-988-7216 fax

RESPONSE:
--------------------------------------
We still plan on supporting NetWare in Bonsai. I can't commit beyond that. My guess is that in "Monterrey", the release after Bonsai, we will very seriously consider dropping NetWare. I don't see us supporting it in GroupWise longer than this given the direction of the company and the better results we get on Linux.

--Ken

Ken Muir
Director of Software Engineering
GroupWise, Novell, Inc.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back