Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Future of FoxPro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have been using Fox Pro since it was Fox Base. A few days ago I was talking to a friend that said one of their applications was written in FoxPro by a third party and that the third party had told them to get ready for a expensive update because Microsoft was no longer going to support FoxPro.

Is there any truth to this and should I develop new apps in another language?

Thanks;

Old Dude
<jrymer@smnet.net>

There is no truth that Microsoft has said it will no longer support Visual FoxPro. It is true that Microsoft has said that it will no longer provide support for FoxPro 2.x and earlier. [sig]<p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br> [/sig]

For verification, visit Microsoft's Product Support Discontinuance page at:

According to this page, Microsoft support for FoxPro for Windows and DOS 2.6 terminated on July 1, 1999. [sig]<p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br> [/sig]

I support to what have stated by Robert. Actually, I think that there will be another version that will be out for VFP that is VFP 7.

Wendz
edbb@lycos.com [sig][/sig]

Microsoft has already said, announced, whatever there will be a VFP 8 with version 7 still a ways away now. You were wise to ask for a second opinion here rather than take one person's comments as gospel. [sig]<p>John Durbin<br><a href=mailto: john@johndurbin.com> john@johndurbin.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>MCP Visual FoxPro<br>
<br>
ICQ #9466492<br>
ICQ VFP ActiveList #73897253[/sig]

Whatever the answer, I have found that Crystal Reports bears many similarities to Foxpro. The reports do amazing things easily and can pull the data from many types of sources including .dbf tables. Certainly worth looking into as a hedge in the event something does change down the road. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back