Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Future deletion of record

Status
Not open for further replies.

helmi

Technical User
Mar 10, 2003
SG
In my database system, there is a field that shows the DATE BOUGHT of vehicle.In ten years time from the date bought, i would like Access to automatically delete the vehicle record. My business would want to scrap all vehicles that is ten years old.What must i do? I have no knowlege of visual basic and hope someone can help me out.Thanx....

If your table is named "Vehicles" and the field you suggested is named, "DATE BOUGHT".
Your sql query should look like this:

SELECT Vehicles.[DATE BOUGHT], DateDiff("yyyy",[DATE BOUGHT],Date()) AS Over10Years
FROM Vehicles
WHERE (((DateDiff("yyyy",[DATE BOUGHT],Date()))>10));

This uses the DateDiff() function to retrieve the difference in years "yyyy" between [DATE BOUGHT] and Date() or Now() functions (which return the current date or time of the computer you are using. Look up the functions in Access help.

If you make a delete query based on these parameters, and run it once a year in January, or whenever, it will DELETE any [DATE BOUGHT] vehicles older than 10 years.

There are lots of ways to do this but basing a DELETE query on this criteria and then running this query in code from a button or scheduled routine is very simple.

aflat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back