Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Further tape problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2000
GB
Having upgraded to a new server, i have a DDS3 tape which contains a CPIO backup of my old server. The drive in my old server is a HP Storageworks DAT40i drive, and in my new server i have a Quantum DAT72 Drive. When i try to use cpio on the new server to retrieve files from the tape, i get an error telling me that the tape is not formatted.

I understand that the implementation of cpio is slightly different on OS6 to OS5, but i don't know if the problem is likely to be related to that, or that the tape drives are incompatible.

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved!

James

You can determine if the problem is CPIO or hardware by trying to read the old tape in the new drive with a DD command:

# dd if=/dev/rStp0 of=/tmp/tapefile bs=512 count=1000000

That will grab the first 512mb of the tape. You may need to try different values for the "bs=512" option.

There are also different binaries for several utilities in /u95/bin. You might try that version of cpio as well.

My guess is you have a hardware compatibility issue between the drives, though.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Try uninstalling the DAT tape drive and then re-installing the drive. We are currently using DDS3 & 4 DAT Drives. When we installed them we selected DAT Tape from the instalation menu.(As it is a DAT Tape afterall). We have now selected the Generic menu from the selection. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies, the server's quite happy up and running now, and reading and writing from the tape. Reading from the old tapes (which it still won't do) isn't a problem, and it's ok when i write to one of the old tapes i can then read it too!

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back