Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Functions in Queries Cause syntax errors: References?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoroaster

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
GB
I'm running Access 2007, and have been without issue for a couple of years. Over the last few days I've been experiencing a problem with writing queries which seems to be universal to any Access database I'm using - any query I write with a Function in the QBE grid causes an error: "The expression you entered contains invalid syntax" - I've tried checking the references via opening a VBA module and looking in Tools/References and the references I've got appear to be OK (Visual Basic for Applications; MS Office 12.0 Object Library; and Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library.
Any ideas?

Regards, Z

The road to hell is temporarily closed due to resurfacing with targets achieved

Thanks for the respose Duane, but the problem wasn't related to any one database, but all of them - I've had our IT department reinstall Access on my machine to no avail.

However, I have now, after a bit more investigation, finally fixed this frustrating issue - what I'd done (sometime before Christmas - I'd simply not noticed until a couple of days ago) was to change the default List Seperator in Regional Settings from a Comma to a Pipe, so that I could export as CSV from Excel using a pipe as the default rather than a comma (since data often contains commas) - this has had the undesireable side-effect on the way Jet reads and interprets SQL, as it was substituting pipes for commas in the SQL, including all expressions and functions. I've now reverted to the Comma as the default list seperator and all is well!

Regards, Z

The road to hell is temporarily closed due to resurfacing with targets achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back