Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Functions and Parameters in RPT within Crystal Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

spud123

Technical User
Feb 23, 2001
AU
I have designed a report in Crystal 8.5 using a parameter in the record selection. The record selection references the function totext. e.g. totext({field1}) = {?Parameter1}.

The report runs in Crystal Reports, but when you view it or schedule it in Crystal Enterprise no records are returned.

However, if the record selection is edited in the report to read {field1} = {?Parameter1} the report runs fine within Crystal Enterprise.

It appears that Enterprise does not read the record selection correctly when a function is used.

How many records are being evaluated in this report? When you use a function in the record select statement this forces all records to be returned before any filtering occurs. You may be timing out on the page server/cache server if too many records are being returned.

I recommend that you create a SQL Expression that does the same thing as your totext({field1}) function. Simply replace the function with the SQL Expression as follows:

//Sample Record Selection Criteria
{%SQLExpression}= {?Parameter1}

1) This may resolve your issue
2) Your report should run much more efficiently.

Hope this helps!

Do you know how to require the user enter a value for each parameter each time the report is run ? My parameters are referenced inside formula's that concatenate text to the parameter's value. See my message posted above your message.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back