Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

functionality similar to doskey 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipose

Programmer
Dec 24, 2003
US
hi,
I am using an AIX 5.3 machine and I would like to have a doskey like functionality.

output of uname -a
AIX XXXX 3 5 00C073004C00

Things used to work fine with escape + k, but I guess something was changed by the admins. Is there anything that I can add in my profile to get this functionality ?

Thanks
philipose

If you simply want to make the line editor work again, just add the following to your login .profile.

export EDITOR=vi

Also take a look at the AIX commands history and fc.

Philipose,

Have you tried the bash shell? It is very nice where you can write the first characters of your command and then press 'tab' key to complete it! You can as well view history by using the arrow keys!!!

1) All you need to do to activate this is to edit your .profile and add the following:

export SHELL=/usr/bin/bash

2) Or else you need to ask whoever has root access to use chusr shell=/usr/bin/bash ur_user_account to make it permenant!

3) Or you if you don't want to change your shell by default then all you need to do is to type 'bash' in the command line to enter into the bash shell!

Regards,
Khalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back