Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Function Keys, Shortcut Keys & Tab Key stop working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggdev

Programmer
May 29, 2007
GB
Hi. Any help or advice for the problem below would be greatly appreciated.

I have a strange intermittent problem. My application which has existed for years utilises function keys and shortcuts to select frequently used menu items. I have recently come across a problem whereby for no apparent reason function keys, shortcuts and the tab key all stop working.

Clicking the mouse and selecting the menu items still work. When the problem occurs the exe file still appears in the Processes Tab within Task Manager (after it has been closed) and has to be terminated manually. The application is written in VB6 and runs on many PCs although I believe the only PCs that currently give this problem are running Windows 7 but this is not a general problem that I encounter with the application on Windows 7 PCs.

Has anyone had a similar problem before? Does anyone have any ideas of a possible cause and potential resolution.

Thank you for any information.

When the problem occurs the exe file still appears in the Processes Tab within Task Manager (after it has been closed) and has to be terminated manually

Just a shot in the dark, but this Terminate-Stay-Resident behavior is often caused by connections that were either left open or not set = Nothing before the application closes. If you find something like this and fix it...? Odd that this never happened in the past though.

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Thank you for your idea. I agree it is very odd as it hadn't happened before and wonder if there is a conflict with something else installed on the PCs. I will have a look for any open connections that could lead to the terminate-staty-resident.
Thanks very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back