Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

function and sub...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLReaver

Programmer
May 20, 2000
US
Hi,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I've been programming in asp fairly often now and I pretty much get how to run everything.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, I still don't know what's the difference between function and sub except for the fact that subs can't be used where functions are required.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have no problem with coding using subroutines and functions but I sure like to know what's the difference between them.

Basically a function is passed a value and then returns something (like a black box)<br>Like so:<br><br>Public Function Circumference(Radius)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Circumference = Radius * 2 * 3.124159<br>End Function<br><br>So a value is passed back to the name<br>to call the above would be<br>X = Circumference(3)<br>and X would have the result in it<br><br>Where as a Subroutine is called to perform something and then returns when done.<br>It does not return a value back to a variable <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back