Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fully hiding a computer's ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

blend222

Programmer
Jan 21, 2010
US
my modem has its own static ip,
my hardware firewall has its own static ip.

I can configure 1 of my firewall ports for full internet access.

Say i connect a computer up to that port, is it possible to
Fully hide my ip address of that particular computer for things "other than web(http,https) access"?

i am wanting to hide my modems ip address or be able to manipulate(change it to any ip i want)

say my modems ip is 213.120.85.115, i want the computer to not display that ip no matter how or where i connect to anything, through http, software, or anything. A way where i can manipulate the ip to show up as whatever i want.

While I cannot imagine a business use for that, you can 'hide' any IP you do not wish attached to the internet.

To get any internet traffic, it can't be hidden.

You can block ports, that is what the firewall is for.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I detect a bit of paranoia so I will add fuel to your fire. In addition to the IP address, your MAC address is also transmitted. Two pieces of information are required to transmit and receive IP packets: the IP address and the MAC address. With the MAC address it does get changed across router boundaries, if I recall my theory of operation correctly.

I am going to assume here that you are asking because you believe that your business is your own and want to keep your things private, and not assume you are asking how to hide illicit activity. If you want to disguise your tracks, there are ways to do that, such as proxy servers and TOR. If you want to keep a computer safe from external hackers, keep it behind a firewall with NAT and keep all of the ports closed. If you want to keep your data private, investigate PGP. And remember, you are only as secure as the physical access allows.

IPSEC VPN, GRE VPN encrypted by IPSEC.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Paranoia, no
illicit activity, no

Just trying to hide my ip, to the extent that i feel safe.

a proxy server only hides you ip frow website server logs.

Tor, well i looked at it, mostly the same thing, for 'Firefox' mostly.

I am trying to hide my ip from the myriad of software i have on my computers that contacts its servers for updates, etc., and for whatever other reasons them crazy companies have (gathering info on my computer and stuff).

When software on my computer connects to a server for a reason, its pulling my ip and logging it.

I want that software to pull a fake ip or a ip other than my real ip

Is there some way i can randomize the ip my computer will show in this type of instance?

I don't know of any way you can randomize, or otherwise fake the IP address. The IP address IS used to route the information from one location to the other. This is equivalent to saying that I am going to have my mail sent to a random address on my street. The result is that the mail won't be placed in my mail box.

The closest thing that I can think of that you can do is use an anonymizer service or a a TOR - like network. Such as setup would proxy your connection and hence hide your IP from the destination. Yes, most of these services are geared towards browsing and you may need to get a little more creative in how you set things up. The next step down would be to dedicate a public IP address to this task and put the devices you want to hide behind a router with NAT. The places you contact will get the public IP, but if you keep all the ports closed, it will be worthless.

As a follow up to this thread, I thought I would mention that I came across an article this last weekend on this subject. The article was written by someone who was purportedly is one of the best hacker/crackers and discussed the misconception of falsifying your IP address.

The article pointed out that it is possible, but not easy, to falsify the IP address by modifying the packets at a low level. The article then stated that the problem that one runs into is that this effectively prevents data from being returned to you, as it will be routed to the false location. It then stated that running false IPs in both directions is an extremely difficult task, and while it has been accomplished that the requirements put it beyond that of most individuals.

It would appear that the easiest way to effectively hide your IP address is to use a relay proxy such as hidemyip.com.

thats what i use or you can get a friend in a different country with a linux box and proxy that way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back