Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fulltextindex, order by score and weight the records with phone number more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olavxxx

Programmer
Sep 21, 2004
NO
Hi,

I have already made a fulltextindex and it works pretty well with score and distance (calculating distance from the user and the record). However I would further like to improve this search by giving first the records with phone numbers and the ones that are "reserved".

I tried adding more columns to the order by, this does not seem to work as I had hoped it would.
(No difference in the first records).

I think there are two ways (probobly many more) to solve this:
1. Use some kind of case() to check the column reserved and order by this ( I doubt this will work better than order by the column reserved and phone )
2. Make some if/else code and making a variable that I set to 0.5 if reserved, 0.4 if has no phone no, 1 if has phone no and is reserved. Then adding the value of this variable to the score (score on the match()).

Hope this makes any sense :)

Olav Alexander Mjelde

Hi, I thought of another idea now.. That might work better (if it works as I think it will).
I'll try to add a new colum that I call weight, with standard value of 1.

After doing that, all the records will have weight 1 and I can multiply the weight colum to the score (in the query). So if a result had 0.6 score, it still gets 0.6.
To add some weight to the score, I would need to run two queries:

update ... set weight = '1.2' where reserved is not null;
update ... set weight = '1.1' where reserved is null and phone is not null;

Then I can do order by distance desc, and score*weight

This means that the reserved ones are weighted 20% more (dynamically) and the ones with phone - not reserved, weighted 10% more. I believe this would be an ok sollution, if it works :) I have to wait untill after normal operating hours, as I have to update 1.4 million records and I dont want to make the website hang.

Olav Alexander Mjelde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back