Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FullText Search in .pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

lclechner

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
BR
I'm design a new DB that will use full text search in an image column. In MS Books Online, I read that SQL2K can has filters for .doc,.xls,.ppt,.txt and .html. I read that we could use custom filters for others documents.
In my DB I'll have some .pdf docs, anyone knows how to set a custom filter for .pdf and where we could find this filters?
I have looked at adobe site but do not find anything.
Thanks

.pdf files are images not text, doubt you will be able to do a search on the text in them.

Thank you SqlSister, maybe you are correct, but I have a point.
When we open a .pdf in Acrobat Reader, we are enable to find words or phrases, and more we can select, cut and paste this text blocks in others Text editor!!!.
So, if Acrobat Reader can do this, it could be possible to find a word inside an .pdf document with an apropriate parse.;-)

It could be possible, but doubtful if you can find this. We certainly haven't found anything like this and it would be nice because all our vendors give us their pricing data in .pdf format and we have to manually enter into our proposals database in order to use the prices in opur bids. If you do find something, I'd be overjoyed to hear about it.

I may be off the mark but doesnt microsoft index server create fulltext searches on pdf files in a directory. in which case you could store the files in the directory and get index server to create a full text search index.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back