Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Full text search in docs in a table possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmientjes

Programmer
Mar 27, 2002
NL
In a table there are documents like Word / PDF documents or a reference to external documents.
Can I use full text search for searching inside those documents as well?
If not, is there an alternative?

Thanks,
Frans

If you are running v2000 or later, and if the text is actually within the tables, in the correct field types (see manual or online help) then you can use SQL Server for full text searching.

However, if the items are held in binary form (eg as .pdf files within a binary BLOb) or held outside the database, then you will not be able to search within them.

Instead, try getting someone to create a program that reads these external documents and creates an index for you. The index can then be held within SQL Server and accessed there ...

Did you already received a solution for this problem?
I've uploaded documents (.DOC) with ADODB.stream into an SQL-table (not external).
I've added the table to a catalog and populated the catalog
I've used a column with the extension of the document
But my Contains-query always returns 0 rows.
Any idea?

No, I have not found a solution for this.
It seems that there needs to be an external tool to index everything.
Maybe SQL 2005?

It most certenitly is possible. Check the forums. We had a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. SQL can easily be setup to index word docs and excel workbooks. PDFs can also be done, it's just a little harder. If I can find the thread I'll post it in here.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(Not quite so old any more.)

Here is the prevous thread on this topic thread183-1110526.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(Not quite so old any more.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back