Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Full Text Population - Full vs. Incremental

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFR

Programmer
Jan 8, 2002
DE
there is a problem on the population of a full text catalog:
the (only one) underlying table has about 100,000 records, each with one of two ntext columns filled.
The text in these columns is strongly varying in size from 10 to 50,000 characters and more.
The table is growing continously and ideally should by indexed without any delay.
If I start the full population, it lasts (on a test machine) about one hour. If my software starts the incremental population with
"EXEC sp_fulltext_catalog 'catalog', 'start_incremental'",
MSSearch is running for 1,5 hours regardless if only one record had been added or thousands. The table has a [timestamp] column with a default of 'getdate()'. The Eventlog entries of MSSearch are telling, all records were changed.

My question is: is there any way to speed up the population? Am I wrong with the use of the [timestamp] field?

Thanks in advance
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back